I am more of a make do and mend kind of person than a person who will go straight to the shops and buy something new. So I am having a great time revamping lots of old items. Lots of bits of material and old clothes have been miraculously tuned into an array of cushions and one piece I am particularly pleased with is this one.
I unearthed my mum’s old chest of drawers
my grandparents bought when she was a baby. Perfect! This will do for the ‘child’ of the LuLus who appears to think that if he artistically arranges his clothes, all over the floor, then I won’t mind or even notice. Think again Luke, think again. I am afraid that no amount of artistic input will let him do this in the new house so these drawers are very much needed.
What you will need to do a similar thing is:
- Old chest of drawers
- Lots of sandpaper (whoever thought it was a good idea to put copious amounts of plant and gloss on furniture has proved the bane of my life for the past few weekends)
- A well ventilated space and dust sheet (yes, you will get paint dust all over yourself but it is best not to get it all over the rest of the house)
- A mask (no one wants to inhale a paint pot!)
- Some new paint (choose any colour as , eventually, you will have a blank canvas once you have used lot of elbow grease and I mean a lot. It might be a good idea to have some deep heat to hand)
- Some fabric to layer the drawers and some superglue to ensure it stays there (watch out fo gluing your hands!)
- Some old rope to turn into handles
- A drill to make the holes for the rope (although for some inexplicable reason I wasn’t allowed to do this bit! so as the saying goes ‘get an appropriate adult to help you’)
Get the drawers and clean.
Sand untill you can see the grain – Be patient!
Choose the paint – I went for dark chocolate
and antique white…interesting but, unfortunately, not edible.
Apply first chocolatey coat
Apply second coat
Drill holes in the drawers
Make sure they fit back in after applying rope!
Cut fabric to size, add a splodge of glue and roll carefully into place
Strawberries and chocolate?